College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Students interested in taking a CLEP test should first visit the CLEP website to view available tests and testing rules and procedures. The student can then call the WCJC Testing Center where he/she wants to test to schedule a testing date and time. Once the date and time have been established, the student can register for the exam through the My Account feature on the College Board website.
Students who want to petition for credit at WCJC based on CLEP scores should refer to pages 18 and 19 of the WCJC College Catalog to view the subject tests scores accepted by WCJC.
On exam day, be prepared to bring the following to the test center:
A valid registration ticket from My Account registration portal
Administration fees: Pay the administration fee ($15) to the WCJC Business Office. The Business Office will give you a receipt. Bring this receipt with you to the Testing Center.
Identification: Your driver's license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your ID must match the name on your registration ticket. The ID you bring must meet certain criteria.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary.
The total fee for the test is $100. The exam fee is $85.00 payable to CLEP. Students should go to My Account to register and pay for the CLEP exam. The $15 administration fee is paid at the WCJC Business Office.
Wharton Campus: 979-532-6386
Richmond Campus: 281-239-1532
Sugar Land Campus: 281-243-8434
Credit for selected courses at Wharton County Junior College may be obtained by special examinations in accordance with the following policies:
- Credit by examination may not be acquired in courses in which the student is or has been enrolled for credit past the 12th class day of each semester or in an academic discipline in which the student has earned credit in a more advanced course.
- No credit by examination is applicable until the student has earned an equivalent number of hours at Wharton County Junior College.
- Not more than sixteen semester hours may be earned by examinations in transfer courses or more than twenty-two semester hours in vocational-technical courses.
- Grades of A, B, or C are granted with credit in the courses below.
- Your CLEP grade will determine the letter grade that will show on your transcript. A ( 70-79), B (60-69), C (50-59)
- CLEP exams are given on an appointment basis at the Wharton, Richmond and Sugar Land campuses.
- For the Spanish exam an "A" gives the student credit for 4 courses, a "B" gives credit for 3 courses, and a "C" gives credit for 2 courses.
CLEP Subject Test
WCJC Courses and Credit in Semester Hours
|Chemisty||CHEM 1411 and 1412 (8 hours)|
|English Composition||ENGL 1301 (3 hours)|
|History of the United States I||HIST 1301 (3 hours)|
|History of the United States II||HIST 1302 (3 hours)|
|Western Civilization I||HIST 2311 (3 hours)|
|Western Civilization II||HIST 2312 (3 hours)|
|Pre-calculus||MATH 2312 (3 hours)|
|College Algebra||MATH 1314 (3 hours)|
|Calculus I||See College Catalog for information.|
|Principles of Microeconomics||ECON 2302 (3 hours)|
|Introduction to Psychology||PSYC 2301 (3 hours)|
|Human Growth and Development||PSYC 2314 (3 hours)|
|Spanish||SPAN 1311, 1312, 2311, or 2312 (14 hours)|
|Introductory Sociology||SOCI 1301 (3 hours)|
For information on study guides and sample test questions please CLICK HERE.