Mandatory Participation in Remediation
THEA and Alternative Testing
Credit by Examination
IB Credit by Examination
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
Students attending Texas public institutions of higher education must be in compliance with the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), as of fall 2003 (Texas Education Code §51.3062) in order to enroll in public institutions of higher education. The law requires all entering college students to be assessed for college readiness in reading, mathematics and writing unless the student qualifies for an exemption. Each student who fails to meet the minimum passing standard of the exam offered by the institution must be placed in a developmental education program designed to help the student achieve college readiness.
Texas Success Initiative Exemptions
A student may be exempt from meeting Texas Success Initiative standards by meeting one of the following standards.
- SAT combined Math and Critical Reading scores of 1070 with at least 500 on each of the two parts. (Test taken no more than 5 years ago)
- ACT composite score of 23 with at least 19 on the Math and 19 on the English scores. (Test taken no more than 5 years ago)
- TAKS exit-level Math score of 2200 and English/Language Arts score of 2200 and Writing essay score of 3. (Test taken no more than 3 years ago)
- Students serving on active duty as a member of the US armed forces, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the US armed forces and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
- Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces, the Texas National Guard, or serve as a member of a reserve component of the US armed forces.
- An earned degree, associates or higher, from a Texas public college or university.
- A student who transfers to an institution from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and who has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution
TSI Exam Results
Students who do not pass one or all parts (English, mathematics, reading, and writing) of a TSI exam must enroll in an appropriate developmental education course before the student may enroll in a credit bearing course for the subject in which he/she did not meet state standards.
Minimum Passing Standards for TSI Exams
Reading--- 81, Algebra(Not Pre-Algebra), --- 39, Writing (objective section)--- 59, Written Essay---6 (the minimum passing standard for the written essay portion of the COMPASS is a score of 6. However, an essay score of 5 will meet this standard if the objective writing score is a 59 or above.
Reading--- 41, Algebra(Not Pre-Algebra), ---38, Writing (objective section)---40, Written Essay ---6 (the minimum passing standard for the written essay portion of the ASSET is a score of 6. However, an essay score of 5 will meet this standard if the objective writing score is a 59 or above.)
Reading ---230, Math ---230, Writing---220