Brightspace is an online Learning Management system (LMS) used by WCJC for course supplemental materials and distance learning courses. Brightpsace allows students to access the WCJC virtual campus through the Internet.
Minimum System Requirements for Brightspace
Students who enroll in an Internet or Hybrid course do not have to own a computer but must have access to a computer with the following requirements:
- Computer - As a general guideline, a computer three years old or less is best. It should be running at least Windows 8, Mac OS 10.12 or Chromium OS.
- Internet Access - A satellite, DSL, or cable connection or higher is best. Dial-up connections are not recommended and will be problematic. If relying on an employer's Internet connection, be aware that firewall restrictions and policies may exist that prevent access to all or part of the course, using the college's online tools.
- Web Browser - For an optimal experience that offers better performance, accessibility, and security, D2L recommends that all users access the Brightspace Learning Environment with the latest version of a supported browser.
- Tip: By default, most browsers automatically update to the latest version. To ensure you are running the latest browser version, D2L recommends that you set your browser to auto-update.
- It is also recommended that students install multiple browsers when possible. Chrome browser is the recommended browser of the college on all computers and operating systems.
- List of supported browsers - D2L Brightspace Documentation Page
- Pop-up Blockers - While using D2L Brightspace, if you are unable to view discussion postings, quiz windows, and download links, then you may need to disable pop-up blocking for the WCJC D2L Brightspace site.
- Administrative Rights - If you are not using a computer provided by WCJC, you must have the administrative rights necessary to download and install required programs and plug-ins on the computer you use to access your online courses.
Students should perform a basic system check by going to the D2l Brightspace System Check before the start of each semester.
Beginning Fall 2022, you will access Brightspace by singing into the MyWCJC Portal and clicking on the D2L Brightspace icon. Once you are registered, you will have access to Brightspace and the Student Resources course. We encourage all students to familiarize themselves with the platforms and the tools and resources available in Student Resources prior to the start of the semester. Please note that courses will not appear until the official start date of the course.
- Brightspace is a mobile-friendly LMS that provides a modern way to learn, with no need to pinch-and-zoom or scroll to view content on mobile devices.
- Students in Brightspace can have notifications sent to their email or phone. They can customize which actions in Brightspace will trigger a notification, and where they want the notification sent.
- Brightspace is reliable and accessible with a unique overall learning experience.
- Brightspace is built from the ground up using an inclusive design with best practices for each and every learner. Operating on a reliable, and secure global cloud infrastructure, It has 99.9% uptime with no downtime or maintenance.
- Award-winning accessibility features make it easy for students to navigate tools using